How These Super Foods Can Help You To Relieve From Stress
Can food help us relieve stress?
Food plays a vital role in the functioning of our mood and habits. Certain food habits can induce long term effects of producing stress, while healthy eating habits help us maintain a positive and stress free attitude.
Sugar to relieve stress
While many may not realize, but subconsciously we make food choices which affect our mood. For example, when we are worried or upset about something and we have chocolate, or ice cream. Our mood seems to automatically be lifted. This is because the sugar present in such foods makes us feel happy.
However, a distinguishing factor which plays a vital role is health. Are these sugary treats actually good for our body? And the answer is no; although they relieve stress. It is not advisable to consume these foods beyond a limit. Doing so would rather trigger other issues such as high blood sugar, diabetes and so on. Sugar gives our body that extra energy, what we usually call a sugar rush. But dependency on sugar can turn out to be detrimental.
Long term dependency on sugar can have the following effects:
1. Weaken the body’s ability to respond to stress.
2. It is a gateway to fall into clinical depression.
3. Develops withdrawal symptoms, on unavailability of sugar.
4. It impairs the cognitive functioning of the brain such as decision making capacity and memory.
What can you have instead?
There are various other alternative foods, which can help us combat stress. If one
is looking to stop consuming refined sugar, owing to its demerits. Stevia is a brilliant alternative. Stevia is derived from a plant, and is calorie free. Its claim to be carbohydrate free has made way to its popularity.
Stevia is also 200 to 300 times sweeter than regular sugar, hence less amount of stevia can be used to get an expected amount of sweetness, which does not spike insulin as fast as refined sugar. Making it a better choice for diabetic patients. The growing popularity of stevia is justified, with its many advantages as compared to sugar.
On the note, it is generally better to avoid non-sweet substitutes to combat stress.
Especially in the case of individuals suffering from diabetes and other sugar related
ailments. We can bring forward a rather comprehensive list of produce which would be generally hailed as healthier alternatives.
· Pumpkin Seeds- Are rich in Zinc and Potassium. While Potassium is vital for maintaining the electrolyte balance in the body, Zinc helps in development of nerve and brain cells, which help reduce symptoms of stress.
· Turmeric- Available in almost every Indian kitchen, turmeric contains an active ingredient called curcumin which may reduce inflammation and help tackle stress.
· Rose Tea- Is an excellent source to reduce stress. Compounds in rose tea have calming effects by increasing the production of serotonin and dopamine.
· Oats- Reducing refined carbohydrates from our diets, such as white rice and bread is the way to keep anxiety at par. Consuming oatmeal, which is a complex carbohydrate takes longer to digest, and subsequently does not spike insulin levels.
While we have many options to help us relieve stress. We should pay attention towards our mental health and make sure that we are healthy mentally also. Following a healthy lifestyle will help us live long and stay safe.