Ashwagandha has been used by Ayurveda for thousands of years as a rasāyana (rejuvenative) and an adaptogenic herb, meaning that it is used to help the body resist physiological and psychological stress.1 The name ashwagandha translates into “smell of a horse”; this is a reference to both the unique smell of the herb, as well as the virility of a horse, an inference to the traditional use of ashwagandha to support a healthy male reproductive system.
In addition to its dual energizing/calming effect, ashwagandha offers a number of benefits:
• Supports a healthy immune system
• Calms mental processes
• Fosters healthy sleep patterns
• Benefits a healthy reproductive system in both males and females
• Supports sustained energy levels, strength, and vitality, including with physical activity
• Supports healthy back and joints